RecipesBack to Recipes
Sticky Ginger and Toffee Pudding
For the pudding:
- 250g pitted dates, chopped
- 200ml Badger Blandford Flyer Ale
- 2 balls of stem ginger from a jar, finely chopped and 4 tbsp syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 85g salted butter, softened
- 75g light brown muscovado sugar
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 175g self raising flour
For the sauce:
- 1 ball of stem ginger, finely chopped and 2 tbsp stem ginger syrup
- 100g salted butter
- 150g light brown muscovado sugar
- 100ml double cream
- 40g walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180C, fan 160C, gas 4.
- Place the dates, Badger Blandford Flyer Ale, stem ginger and syrup in a saucepan and boil for 2 - 3 minutes to just soften the dates a little. Remove from the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda and cool a little.
- Meanwhile using an electric whisk beat together the butter and sugars until combined well, then gradually beat in the eggs followed by the mixed spice.
- Fold in the flour and date mixture using a large metal spoon.
- Place in a buttered 2 litre rectangular or oval ovenproof dish and bake in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from the middle.
- Meanwhile make the sauce, add all the ingredients into a saucepan and melt over a low heat, stirring occasionally until it boils.
- Using a skewer, make holes all over the sponge and pour the sauce over the top of the pudding and place under a medium hot grill for 8-10 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving with cream and a glass of Badger Blandford Flyer Ale.
Tip: To chop the dates and ginger quickly use a food processor.